Saturday, December 31, 2011

Sunday eggs with swiss chard and ricotta

Originally posted August 14, 2011 on Bettina Writes

One of my favorite things about living in D.C. is the access to beautiful produce at local farmers' markets, especially in the summer. The one I most frequent happens to be today, on Sundays. Really I should call this "Sunday scrambled eggs with garlic swiss chard and ricotta on fried potatoes," but that's a little wordy, isn't it? Plus, I think these eggs would be just as delicious on potatoes as they would with some rice or a nice piece of crusty bread (hell, even some spaghetti... I don't know why but in my mind the only noodle that would work is spaghetti).


This dish is the result of a weekend trip to one of the aforementioned farmers' markets. I cooked this up just for myself, so it serves one but could easily be multiplied (and that also explains the less than specific directions).

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 small potato (yukon gold sized)
    • 1 Tbsp butter
    • 1 clove garlic
    • 2 big leaves swiss chard (yielded about 3/4 c chopped)
    • 1 egg
    • 2 Tbsp ricotta (my favorite is from Keswick Creamery. I highly recommend it if they sell in your area!)
    • Salt and pepper to taste
  • DIRECTIONS

Slice or dice potato thin or small (whatever you prefer). Melt 1/2 Tbsp butter in pan over medium heat, and fry potatoes until cooked through (or, do like I do and whenever you boil potatoes, cook extra so the frying only takes a couple minutes). 

Meanwhile, finely chop a clove of garlic. Remove tough ribs from swiss chard and chop. When potatoes are done, remove from pan (put them right on your eatin' plate and cover to keep warm), add another 1/2 Tbsp butter, melt, and cook garlic lightly before adding swiss chard. Cook until soft and wilted. 

Beat egg in a small bowl with a little bit of water (maybe a Tbsp). Add to pan with swiss chard, and scramble together. Keep the eggs moving so they don't get tough. When almost completely set, mix in ricotta. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Dump on top of potatoes. Eat.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment