Saturday, December 31, 2011

Quick tip: grilled cheese

Originally posted August 18, 2011 on Bettina Writes


Here's just a quick cooking tip that's new to me: when making grilled cheese, coat the bread with mayo instead of butter.



I've only started to hear this recently--the first time I heard about it was my sister's boyfriend, and to be honest, didn't really give it a lot of merit at the time. However, as it kept popping on food tv and blog circles, it started to make more sense: mayo is mostly oil, so it will brown and crisp like butter, but the emulsification with eggs lowers the burn/smoke point so your sandwich gets sufficiently melty inside but not burnt on the outside (and for those mayo-haters, it does NOT make the sandwich taste like mayonnaise).

I'm pretty sure I'll be making all my grilled cheese sandwiches (including grilled ham, egg and Jarlsberg sandwiches like pictured above--yum) this way from now on.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment