Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lemony green beans w/ crispy shallots:
Classic comfort food dinner pt 2


I LOVE vegetables--I realize thus far looking at this blog you'd think I only love baked goods and pasta, but I really truly love vegetables. Except for green beans. I don't hate them, but they just don't make my heart flutter the way butternut squash and spinach and onions and brussels sprouts do, or the plethora of other vegetables I'll eat every which way I can.

That is, until recently.

I discovered a green bean dish that I'd say I love as much as roasted cauliflower (I really like roasted cauliflower). A combination of tender sweet green beans, the acidic tang of lemon, and slightly-greasy-in-a-totally-good-way fried shallots is pure vegetable magic.

Dig in.

Lemony green beans with crispy shallots
Serves 4-6

1-2 Tbsp corn starch
1 large or 2 small shallots
cooking oil for frying (peanut, vegetable, canola, etc.)

1 lbs green beans
1 Tbsp salt (for boiling water)
2 Tbsp butter
Juice and zest of half a lemon

Peel shallots and slice very thinly. Mix with 1 tablespoon of corn starch, more if needed, to coat each slice.

Heat an inch of oil in a wok. Once it starts to shimmer, test that it's hot by putting a pinch of corn starch in (if it just sinks, the oil isn't hot enough). Add all the corn starch coated shallots and fry until golden brown (keep them moving so they cook evenly, I like to use chopsticks so they don't stick). Remove with a spider spatula or slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Set aside until ready to serve*.

Trim the ends off of green beans, and rinse clean.

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil (large enough to fit all the beans). Add a tablespoon of salt, and all the beans. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes (a little less for very crunchy beans, a little more if you prefer them softer). Drain beans.

In the pot, over low heat, melt butter with lemon juice and zest. Toss in green beans, and season with salt and pepper to taste, making sure it's evenly coated.

Transfer to serving dish, and sprinkle crispy shallots over top.

*If you tend to snack while cooking, or have snackers wandering through your kitchen, definitely make extras of these.


No comments:

Post a Comment